|First let us start with the fact that there are no rare colors in the Great Dane breed, only
mis-marks. Sometimes these mis-marks cannot be helped due to genetic recessive
genes, and these odd colors may end up in good quality show pedigrees. However, we
can try to not replicate these colors, to deliberately breed to produce these colors is a
direct admission of a backyard breeder, a poor breeder and a non reputable breeder.
The Great Dane Club of America has a color code of ethics, of which Dane colors are to
bred to each other which is listed below. Any person who deviates from this color code
is not an ethical breeder, please do not support these bad people by purchasing their
puppies. They will make excuses for why they did it, perhaps temperament, however it
is just an excuse, a lie to get your hard earned money and support their poor breeding
Color of Dane
1. FAWN bred to FAWN or BRINDLE only.
1. BRINDLE bred to BRINDLE or FAWN only. Pedigrees of FAWN or BRINDLE Danes should not carry BLACK,
HARLEQUIN, MANTLE or BLUE upon them.
2. BLACK (HARLEQUIN BRED)
2. HARLEQUIN bred to HARLEQUIN, BLACK from HARLEQUIN BREEDING or BLACK from BLACK BREEDING only.
2. MANTLE bred to HARLEQUIN, MANTLE, BLACK from HARLEQUIN breeding or BLACK from BLACK breeding
2. BLACK from HARLEQUIN BREEDING bred to HARLEQUIN, BLACK from HARLEQUIN BREEDING or BLACK from
BLACK BREEDING only.
Pedigrees of HARLEQUIN, MANTLE or HARLEQUIN BRED BLACK Danes should not carry FAWN, BRINDLE or
BLUE upon them.
3. BLACK (BLUE BRED)
3. BLUE bred to BLUE, BLACK from BLUE BREEDING or BLACK from BLACK BREEDING only.
3. BLACK from BLUE BREEDING bred to BLUE, BLACK from BLUE BREEDING or BLACK from BLACK BREEDING
Pedigrees of BLUE or BLUE BRED BLACK Danes should not carry FAWN, BRINDLE, or HARLEQUIN or MANTLE
4. BLACK (BLACK BRED)
4. BLACK from BLACK BREEDING bred to BLACK, BLUE or HARLEQUIN and MANTLE. (See note below)
Pedigrees of BLACK BRED Danes should not carry FAWN, BRINDLE, HARLEQUIN, MANTLE or BLUE upon them.
|Please be aware that the Spokane area and surrounding areas are
full of bad backyard breeders advertising on kijiji and craigs list,
puppyfind and in the newspaper. Be smart and do not buy these
puppies. Please do not support our local puppy mills. More on our
backyard breeders page.